Airbrush art inspired by Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

 

 

Last month I went to see the movie Pinocchio by Guilermo del Toro and came back totally blown away by the story and animation of the movie. I got inspired to create a fan art of Pinocchio. I chose a couple of pics from the movie to use as my reference. I liked how in the movie they showed the nose of pinocchio growing branches, leaves and fruits as it grew longer whenever Pinocchio told a lie. I chose a canvas of 30x40 inches size to create this piece. I was itching to create an illustration with my newly acquired iwata HP SB plus, side feed airbrush. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H7L6BI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/hp-sb-plus-airbrush.html

I drew the outlines with a pencil on the canvas and started by working on the wooden face. I so wanted to create those wood texture lines and the yellow light.

I used some high flow acrylics by Golden Acrylics and some other airbrush colors by US art supply.

https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/colors/high-flow

laying out colors layer by layer I created Pinocchio's face. In my timelapse video you can notice how I used some masking tape and french curves to create sharp edges to shapes. The most challenging part was the blue light reflecting on the side of the face. For that I had to paint several layers alternating with browns, yellows and then blues over and again until I reached the desired look of transparent blue light upon a wooden surface.

The background was simpler to make after I masked out the entire figure of Pinocchio. I used some montana water based spray paint cans to quickly cover some background area and then went back to airbrush to create the clouds, the mountain, and the field. I used some brush work to add final finishing touches by adding some blades of grass on the field. Other than that I didn't use any traditional brush and tried to go sharp with airbrush only either freehand or using some french curves or masking tape.

I am very pleased with the results and it was one of my best works in 2022 something created for personal happiness. It will be up for sale. 

I do plan to visit the MOMA in New York later this year to view the exhibition by Guilermo del Toro featuring the puppets of Pinocchio.

artistraman





Comments

Popular Posts